March 22, 2017 Panther Intranet   |  Hartnell Website   |  Departments  


This is an official document that must be completed and signed by the instructor and returned to the Admissions and Records Office within two working days after the final examination. A grade must be given to every student in the FINAL GRADE column.  The only authorized grades are:

A          Excellent
B         Good
C         Fair/Average
D         Barely Passing
I           Incomplete
NC       No/Credit
CR       Credit 
F          Failure

No “W’s” are to be assigned by the instructor at final grading time.  The grades of "W" and "NGR" may be assigned on Positive Attendance Rosters.  The last date of attendance must also be indicated.

Please remember that this is an official document.  The instructor's signature on the roster indicates that all information written thereon is true and correct.

Grades will be available through the ASAP telephone registration system (755-6755) and the PAWS for Students on-line system minimally three weeks after the completion of the semester.  Short-term course grade reports follow the regular semester schedule.  If students want to know their grades earlier, however, they should leave the instructor self-addressed, stamped envelopes-- this is an optional procedure for faculty members.  A second option is for instructors to post grades at the end of the semester.  The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act prohibit anyone from using markers (such as complete social security numbers) that could identify a student.  An instructor may use the student ID number as identification markers.

In the absence of mistake, fraud, incompetency, or bad faith, the determination of the students' grades by the instructor shall be final once the grades have been filed in the Admissions and Records Office.  Grades MAY NOT BE CHANGED AFTER ONE YEARA Grade Change Form must be completed (indicating the reason for the change) and turned in to the Admissions and Records Office by the instructor.  Grades cannot be changed by retaking examinations or submitting additional coursework after the semester is completed.

On a Notice of Incomplete Grade Form, obtained at the Admissions and Records Office, instructors assigning "I" (Incomplete) grades must state what is needed to complete the course and what grade the student earns without completing the work specified. Incompletes are to be given only when students have emergencies that prevent them from completing the final exam or an assignment made toward the end of the class.  These forms can only be picked up by the instructor.

Incomplete academic work for unforeseeable, emergency, and justifiable reasons at the end of the term may result in an "I" symbol being entered in the student's record. The condition for removal of the "I" shall be stated by the instructor in a written record.  This record shall contain the conditions for removal of the "I" and the credit assigned in lieu of its removal.  This record must be given to the student with a copy on file with the Admissions and records Office until the "I" is made up or the time limit has passed.

A final grade shall be assigned when the work stipulated has been completed and evaluated, or when the time limit for completing the work has passed.  The "I" may be made up

no later than the last class day of the following semester. The "I" symbol shall not be used in calculating units attempted nor for grade points.  The student may petition the instructor for a time extension (one semester only) due to unusual circumstances.  The extension of Incomplete forms is available from Admissions and Records.

An instructor may file a Grade Change Form for one reason:  to correct an error made when issuing the original grade.  No grade change may be made for a course completed in excess of one year. Instructors may obtain Grade Change Forms from the Admissions and Records Office.  Only the faculty member that assigned the original grade may authorize a change of grade.  Grade Change Petitions must be hand delivered by the instructor to the Admissions and Records Office for processing.  Do not send a student to pick up or submit  a grade change form.

   2010 Hartnell College. All rights reserved.